petek, 3. september 2010

Komentarji ob gostujočem peresu Barbare I. Karsch

Na družbenem omrežju LinkedIn je stekla o objavi Do terminologists still need a library? naše gostujoče terminologinje Barbare Inge Karsch naslednja razprava.

Yes, terminologists need libraries, I need written materials, books mainly, that are not available as e-books for the very simple reason that the system of electronic books is not very well established: copyright, access rights, order system, everything we need for an e-library. I do terminology for an entity... the entity provides the material (including libraries). When we get to the point of having fully functioning e-libraries, I will be one happy puppy. But we are not there yet...
Elena Neculcea
linguist/translator at public sector
Brussels Area, Belgium

No, I live on the campus of the University and my home is very close to the University Library. As a terminology researcher in China, I do not need the library to do the terminology work. The reason is that terminology resources or references in the library are limited and the useful terminology books or works in the English Lanuage are not here and unavailabe. So I just log onto the net, use the web terminology resources and they did helped me a lot. I can find everything relating to terminology once I am on the net, particulary the termbank and the content managment resources.
Ailin Liang
Associate Prof. of English at Huizhou University, China

I agree with Elena, though for me as well, the number of paper look-ups get fewer and fewer as more and more becomes available electronically, locally or via the web. The earlier (historical) use of a certain term is, as an example, often hard to find in electronically available material ...
Mats Granström
Product Manager, Terminology at Interverbum Technology AB
Stockholm Area, Sweden

Interesting article Barbara. In my earlier days as a terminologist, I relied heavily on our translation department and corporate libraries. Nowadays, I rely heavily on our corporate librarian who organizes our electronic library really well. I don't have to save as many documents in my own folders because I know that I can find policy wordings, legal bulletins, etc. very easily and quickly. While I do most of my research online now, I still need some hard copies once in a while and the library is the perfect place to find them.
Ginette Fournier
Senior translator chez Insurance Bureau of Canada
Toronto, Canada Area

I am pleased that Barbara's writing provoked discussion on such a »traditional« issue, pros and cons at the same time. I myself would support both, and even though I am working in a library I rarely »go to the library« as a user! But I do profit from electronic library services a lot, mainly (expensive) e-journals and reference, remote access from my office or my home (sweet Saturday to Sunday nights!). But that's the public sector; do your corporations buy e-resources for the employees directly without the corporate library being involved? So, do you for that reason comprehend as a library only/mainly the traditional library, i.e. a reading room, circulation desk and a stock of bound volumes, or do you find and use e-sources in a library as well (like Ginette says)?
Ivan Kanič
Head Librarian at Faculty of Economics, Central Economic Library
Slovenia

Google books is an extremely useful tool; you can customize your own digital library and therefore have the best of both worlds. Nevertheless, I think we will always need libraries, but to a lesser extent as new technologies provides us with other resources.
Pablo Mones
Traductor Público - Biólogo
Uruguay

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar

Opomba: Komentarje lahko objavljajo le člani tega spletnega dnevnika.